Top Furniture’s approach to privacy
Who are we are and how to contact us?
FAO Privacy Officer, Top Furniture Ltd, Station Yard, Station Road, Uttoxeter, Staffordshire, ST14 8AX
Telephone: 01889 560999 Email: email@example.com
The data we collect about you
The information that we get from our customers helps us personalise and continually improve your shopping experience with Top Furniture. We collect personal information from you when you voluntarily submit information directly to us or our website. You can choose not to provide certain information but we may not be able to provide you with our full service. With regard to each of your visits to our site we may collect the following information:
- Personal contact information that we process from our checkout and user account creation webpages may include name, address, email address and contact telephone numbers. This can also include information you provide when you complete a form, provide feedback or reviews on our products or site, enter competitions through our website, correspond with us, purchase products from the website, subscribe to our email lists or respond to surveys or promotions.
- Technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform.
- Information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from our site (including date and time); products you viewed or searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page and any phone number used to call us.
We also collect personal information indirectly from you such as information about the pages you look at on the site or the device you connect to the site with, or the products you add to your shopping basket.
We describe the categories of personal information we collect in more detail below:
Comments and opinions: such as comments and opinions you share when you provide feedback or reviews on our products or site, or when you respond to our surveys, competitions and promotions.
Messages to us: messages you send to us such as email and written correspondence.
Payment and transaction information: we will keep records of the products and services you purchase from us and the payment method you use for the transaction.
Your preferences: choices you make such as notification and messaging preferences or choices about how the site is displayed.
Information about products you have looked at: We collect information about the products that you have looked at on the website, or that you have added to your basket on the website.
We collect information about how you use the website such as the pages and links you access, the time you access the site and duration you are on it, the website you come to the site from or go to after leaving the site and selections and choices you make when using the site.
We also collect information about the computer or other electronic devices you use to connect to the site such as details about the type of device (which can include unique device identifying numbers), its operating system, browser and applications connected to the site through the device, your Internet service provider or mobile network, your IP address and your device’s telephone number (if it has one).
Typically, the information we collect about how you use or connect to the site is associated with your device and not you as a named individual. However, if you are logged into a registered account this information may also be associated with you directly.
Information about your location: Other than information you choose to provide to us, we do not collect information about your precise location. Your device’s IP address may help us determine an approximate location but this will be no more precise than the city, state or country you are using your device in.
Information provided by other organisations: Other organisations may provide information that we associate with you where they are lawfully permitted to share it, such as contact details, demographic data, or Internet navigation information.
Information from fraud and crime prevention organisations: If fraudulent or other criminal activity is suspected relating to your account, we may be provided with information by credit reference, fraud and crime prevention organisations.
How your data will be used
We use information that is collected about you to:
- Carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us and to provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us.
- Occasionally contact you for research purposes as we are constantly looking for ways to improve our service.
- Ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your devices.
- Provide you with information, products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes or by Legitimate Interests.
- Ensure that content from our website is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
- Contact you directly, or indirectly using a trusted third party acting on our behalf, for the purposes of marketing described in more detail below. We will only do so in accordance with applicable law
- Notify you about changes to our services.
We also embrace the use of social media and may wish to process any comments made public by you.
Legitimate interest and marketing
Where we use legitimate interests we will record our decision and our method on making this decision. This can be requested by you at any time.
If you are an existing contact or customer we will only contact you by postal and electronic means (e-mail) with information about services or goods which you have previously purchased from us or enquired about. If you are a new customer, and where we permit selected third parties to use your data, we (or they) will contact you by post or electronic means only if you have consented to this. You can choose to not receive these types of communication by contacting us.
Email Notifications About Your Order or Changes to the Services We Provide - We may send you email notifications in relation to your order.
Advertising on the Site and other Websites – We, or our advertising partners such as Google and Facebook, may show personalised advertisements to you on our site or on other websites. To do this we, or our advertising partners, may collect information about how you use the site or the types of other web pages, content and ads you, or others who are using the device you connect to the site, interact with, visit or view. The information collected might also include the IP address of the device you connect to the site or the e-mail address you provide to us or our website. We, or our advertising partners, use the information that is collected to make sure adverts you see either on the site or other websites or apps (where our partners have advertising space) are more relevant and personalised to you.
Email Marketing – We are not actively involved in any email marketing campaigns at the moment but in the future we may wish to contact you by email with information about our products and services. If you do not want us to send you email marketing, please let us know by sending an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also unsubscribe from our marketing emails at any time by clicking on the unsubscribe link (where available) in the emails we send to you. We would never email you in this way without your implicit consent which would require you to actively opt in via some sort of tick box or button across our website where the default setting would be for no marketing to be requested.
Information we share with third parties
We will keep your information within the ‘organisation’ except where disclosure is required or permitted by law or when we use third party service providers (data processors) to supply and support our services to you. We will never sell any of our customers data and only share it when it is legitimately needed when working with third parties. All third parties must process personal information in permitted by current data protection legislation. They will not share your personal data with any organisation apart from us. They will hold it securely and retain it for the period we instruct.
We may share your personal data with the following parties:
1. Our users: we and you may share your information with other users as part of our services service so you are able to interact with our users as permitted by the functionality of the service and your preferences which you can set by using the ‘my preference’ functionality on your profile page.
2. Service providers, partners and advisors: third parties who provide a service to us, partner with us on certain business activities, advise us or that we work within other business capacities. For example, we use a third party delivery service to deliver any products you buy to your postal address. We may also pass your personal data to our marketing and other business partners and other carefully selected third parties who may wish to offer you other goods or services that we or they have identified as likely to be of interest to you. These third parties will only be allowed to use your personal data in accordance with our instructions or your marketing preferences (where applicable) and will be required to keep your information secure.
3. Analytics and search engine providers such as Google that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our website to improve your customer journey. Google collects data via sources such as cookies for the personaliation of advertising. Read more details here about how Google uses data that we share with them from this website.
4. Technology companies such as Facebook allow us to offer personalisation and remarketing services to further enhance the user experience on our website. Read more details here about how Facebook uses data that we share with them.
5. Personaliation companies such as Nosto that allows us to offer a more personalised user experience across our website. Read more details here about how Nosto uses data that we share with them from this website.
6. Law enforcement, regulators and other parties for legal reasons: third parties who we are under a legal obligation to disclose your personal data to or who we need to disclose your personal data to protect our rights, property or safety or the rights, property or safety of others, detect and investigate illegal activities and breaches of any agreement we have with you.
7. Website Support Agency and consultants
8. Website Hosting providers
9. Other technology companies such as Google, Facebook, Bing, Amazon, eBay, Nosto, Zopim, Loqate
10. Customer feedback companies such as reviews.co.uk, Truspilot and Freeindex.
11. Payment processing with Opayo ( Sagepay ), Paypal and Klarna
12. Email providers Ionos and Mandrill
13. Data storage companies
15. Delivery companies
16. The Furniture & Home Improvement Ombudsman
We may share your information with selected third parties including: Business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors for the performance of any contract we enter into with you. Examples of the types of companies include; deliveries, security, fraud protection, marketing, IT support and audit. Each of these external companies has a contract with us which confirms how they handle your information and is restricted so that they can only use this information to provide services to Top Furniture and to you and not for any other reason.
Analytics and search engine providers such as Google that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our website to improve your customer journey. These third parties only use your information in line with our instructions and do not disclose it or use it for any other purposes. You have the right to change your mind at any time and details on how to unsubscribe are confirmed below.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
Where we store and transfer your personal information
The information that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area ("EEA"). It may also be processed by staff operating outside the EEA who work for us or for one of our suppliers or business partners. Such staff maybe engaged in, among other things, the fulfilment of your Order, the processing of your payment details and the provision of support and associated services. Our suppliers and business partners may also transfer, store, use and otherwise process your information outside the EEA for the purpose of fulfilling their obligations to you and to provide you with information, goods and services. By using the Top Furniture website, stores, social media and submitting your information during the purchase of Items or participation in competitions and other promotions, you agree to this transfer, storing or processing inside and outside the EEA as stated above. We will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that your data is treated securely and in accordance with this policy.
All information you provide to us via our website is stored on our secure servers which are hosted in Manchester, UK. All personal information and payment transaction data will be encrypted with Secure Socket Layer ( SSL ) software. We would never have access to your full card details after an order has been processed and can only see the last 4 digits which may be used at times to verify your identity. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone. Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Accessing your personal information
If there is information you would like to access, please contact us using the contact details set out in the “Contact us” section below. Please provide as much information as you can about the information you are looking for and we will be happy to try and help you find it after you have passed some security questions. Some examples of your personal information that you can easily access from us are shown below:
Information regarding recent orders
Personally identifiable information such as your name, address, email address and contact numbers
User account and profile details
Last 4 digits of card payment, card type and expiry date
Security of your personal information
Where you are asked to set a user name and password, for example when you register for a Top Furniture Account or otherwise where you provide certain details such as your email address sign up to our newsletter, you must ensure that the details you provide to us are personal to you and not used by any third party (for example, you must not use a generic email address such as HR@topfurniture.co.uk, or otherwise an email address that is used by another person). You must keep all passwords secret and confidential should not share your password with any other person. You must immediately notify us if you know or suspect that someone else has access to your password (whether by authorised or unauthorised means).
Where you have registered a Top Furniture Account you must ensure that your information on the account is always kept updated (for example, you must update it every time you change your address or if your name changes) as we use the information you provide to tailor our service to you and make it more efficient for you. You must not in any circumstances use the website or interact with us on Social Media or register a Top Furniture Account using another person’s details. By using the website, interacting with us on Social Media and registering a Top Furniture Account with us you warrant, represent and undertake that the personal information you provide is personal to you and does not belong to anyone else. You must notify us immediately if you know or suspect another person is using your or someone else’s details. Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to the website; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use reasonable endeavours to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Third party links
We have CCTV in operation at all of our locations.
All CCTV footage is captured purely for your security and for the prevention and detection of crime. It is kept separate from all of the other information we collect about you (as set out above). Please see our in-store signage, or contact us using the details provided below for further information.
Under the recent data protection legislation your rights are:
To be informed – We must make available this privacy notice with the emphasis on transparency over how we process your data.
Access – You are entitled to find out what details we may hold about you and why. 3.3 Rectification – We are obliged to correct or update your details.
Erasure – This is also known as the request to be forgotten.
Restrict processing – You have the right to ‘block’ or suppress the processing by us of your personal data.
Data portability – You have the right to obtain and reuse your personal data that you have provided to us.
Object – You have the right to object to us processing your data in relation to direct marketing and or profiling.
Rights in relation to automated decision making and profiling – We do not use automatic decision making or processing.
You have the right to review and update your registered account details by signing in to your account at any time. You have the right at any time to access, rectify, modify or delete any information held about you.
Note: Please be advised that we are legally required to retain some types of data, such as customer orders. We do this in line with applicable laws including for tax and accounting and fraud prevention purposes. We may retain Personal Data for longer periods than required by law if it is in our legitimate business interests and not prohibited by law.
You have the right to object to us processing your personal information if we are not entitled to use it any more or have its processing restricted in certain circumstances but this may be needed to complete a purchase from us. Please contact us through the Contact Us section here if you wish to exercise these rights. Our security procedures mean that we may have to request proof of identity before we disclose information to you.
Our website may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
You can request a copy of the personal information we hold about you at any time. If you wish to do so, please contact our Customer Service team who will be happy to assist. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you. Please be advised that our security procedures mean that we will have to request proof of identity before we disclose information to you.
FAO Privacy Officer, Top Furniture Ltd, Station Yard, Station Road, Uttoxeter, Staffordshire, ST14 8AX